Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Lots going on

Sorry for no post last week. I'm really trying to make sure I post at least once a week, but that jsut didn't happen. Last week was a crazy week. I started job number two and I had to attend a funeral.

Job number two is at the Polo Club. I'm seating people in their boxes and making sure only those who have paid to get in as VIPs are there.I used to go to polo games with my mom when I was little and I always enjoyed it. I remeber though we were never allowed to go over onto the other side of the field, and I always wanted to. Well now I'm working on the other side of the field and let's just say it's interesting. I am enjoying so far and the crowds haven't been to big, so there haven't been too many problems.

The funeral I had to attend was in Williamsport,PA where I attended college. The younger brother of one of my really good friends from college died. HE was only 20 and died in a motorcycle accident. I was very close to the family when I was in college. Lyndy and I didn't like each other to much when I first arrived at school. HSe was two years older then me and the star of the our basketball team. However, by the end of the season we were close friends. My sophomore she and I were basicly inseperable. I used to go with her to her families house all the time and to her brother's soccer and basketball games.

This visit was obviously a sad visit. However, the family is handling it better then I could ahve ever imagined. It is amazing what community can do for you. All of Mitch's friends (which was almost probably about half of his graduating class of 150-200 kids) were up at the house the day after the accident sharing their memories of Mitch. They had to hold the memorial service at the high school because their were so many peopel there. All with funny stories to share about Mitch.

I don't know how to say this with out it sounding wierd, but it was the best funeral I have ever attended. Not in the way that I was happy that Mitch died. I defintely was not. It was the best in that it really honored Mitch and his Memory. THe music playing the begining was Rap/Hip Hop Music. The pastor was a clsoe family friend and we all knew Mitch wasn't relgious and the Pastor talked about Mitch and his relationship with other people and how he lived his life true to himself. He knew the Mitch would make the right choice when he came face to face with God. He spoke of how to comfort he family. IT was truly amazing and very comfoting. Then two of Mitch friends spoke and then Lyndy spoke. The all truly captured what Mitch's Life was about.

It made me realize that sometimes we get caught up in the traditons especaily funerals. It made realized that these events are about celebration. thee celbration of a life lived on earth and returned to God. It gave me a whole new out look on what a funeral should be.

I'm also preparing to to preach my second sermon in July. I'm still debating on the texts. Right now I'm inbetween preaching Mark 6 :30-34,53-56 or Ephesians 2 11-22. I might write sermons for both and then decide from there. I'm struggle a little with Mark text and I really like the Ephesians text but I'm afriad that sermon will sound to much like sermon number one. Sermon number one was about the inclusion of outsiders based on Acts 10:44-48. So that's goign to be my focus this week....

No comments: