Wednesday, April 25, 2007

So much to say so little time

Ok SO I haven't posted in a while but so much has been going on. School is going well I can't believe my first year is almost over. That is just crazy to me! This semester has been full of the usual ups and downs, but i feel like I am in a really good place. i think a lot of that comes from the people around me telling me that the questions I have are good and valid. I went back and looked at my journal from two years ago and it was very funny for me to be able to see my growth.

This past Saturday was our district conference. It went fairly well. legislation was very quick but we of course couldn't talk about most of the legislation. We are saving all of that for Annual conference Joy of Joys. although we did show two videos at conference that later became referred to as the white and black videos. We are having a service of repentance for the black racial discrimination of the past. We watched a video on the history of Black Untied Methodists. Right before that we watched a video about the potential merger of some of the conferences in New York State. There was not a single person of color in that video. It was interesting to see the contrast. Now none of the the NYS conferences are terribly diverse which i think is the bigger issue. The UM church in our region is not appealing to the minority community in the same way it doesn't really appeal to young adults. That is big issues. You can't have people in a video that don't exist. Not that there aren't any minorities in our conferences there are just very few.

One of the fellow pastors pointed out to me the hypocrisy of this repentance service. We are still contributing to to racism and discrimination. We have not learned from our past mistakes that is for sure. While I think this act/service is needed. We really need to change our actions!

Last thing and then I have to do some work before class. I am dating a wonderful guy. We meant through a mutual friend and it is in its very early stages but I have to say i am very happy!

No comments: