Friday, April 20, 2007

Friday Five

Friday Five: Surprised By Joy

Jesus said to them, "Children, you have no fish, have you?" They answered him, "No."
He said to them, "Cast the net to the right side of the boat, and you will find some." So they cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in because there were so many fish. That disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord!" When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on some clothes, for he was naked, and jumped into the sea.
(John 21:5-7)

Weeping may linger for the night, but joy comes with the morning.
(Psalm 30:5b)

This week I've been watching parents of the young people slain at Virgina Tech trying to make meaning out of the lives of their lost children, and each one seems to begin by focusing on something joyful about that child. It's a gift that most humans have brains wired to respond in that way. For some of us it can be harder to work our way out of dark places, but I believe joy remains the key. It is the spirit of resurrection.

Tell us about five people, places, or things that have brought surprising, healing joy into your life.

1. Spain and all things spanish and hispanic... who ever thought that another culture could bring one person such Joy

2. Little kids especially my cousins... The love of a child seems as thought it can change any mood into a bright one

3. Church.. although the church causes lots of pain and it is organization i struggle with often my church family has been amazing. Being in the sactuary makes me feel at peace, and worship has become surpingly important to me. A big change from when my parent shad to force me to go on Sundays

4. Music.. up until recently I had no idea how much listening to music brings joy to m life

5. My friends... I love them all and each one never ceases to surprise me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kristen, thanks for playing!