Wednesday, April 19, 2006

My generation and the next

I absolutely love reading blogs. Blogs of all kinds, but in particular I like reading what other Methodist blogs have to say. I read the Wesleyblog daily. Honestly Shane is much more conservative in both his theology and his political views then I am, but he does write some really great stuff and he definitely sparks debate. Today he wrote about his frustration on Easter Sunday with the lack of excitement and lack of Christian commitment by youth to Christianity. To be honest, I agree with him. Not so much that I'm frustrated, I'm just really sadden by it.

Like I said before, Michelle, my pastor, gave a great sermon. However, up until that point the congregation was a little lack luster. We had no excitement in the call to worship, no umph in the hymns. Even me. I was so excited for this Easter. Easter has always been my favorite holiday, and this year I thought it would be even more special since I had decided to go into the ministry, but until Michelle preached it didn't really feel like Easter. Where has the excitement in Christianity gone? Where has the excitement in worshiping God gone?

Then we have my generation and seemingly the generations after me who either don't want anything to do with Christianity and/or don't want anything to do with the church. For whatever reason a lot of my friends lately have been saying if they did have a religion they'd be Buddhist. Now, I have nothing against Buddhist, but where is this coming from? Most of them were raised in Christians homes and even went to church as children. Where as a church have we turned so many people off? Left so many people behind? I was almost one of the ones who was turned off. I know it was God who didn't let it happen. God working through other people. My fear is that my generation and possibly the generation after me doesn't even want to see it if God is trying to get to them either personally or through another person.

As I go through this journey of entering the ministry I have to ask myself what are we doing wrong and how can we change it? I pray that God gives us an answer and we listen.

No comments: